Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

fat frog - problems with fixture wheels

eldar

Hi,

I've just loaded in two fixtures on my fat frog. Martin -cx2. They were originally loaded but I wiped it all out and started again because I havn't played with this part of the desk in yonks and wanted to refresh my memory.

That was all fine -except my wheel functions have gone funny. One fixture is ignoring me and the other is changing brightness with the colour setting. When the colour button is pressed the lcd screen displays '???' and when I press any of the buttons it no longer says anything on them.

I'm rather confused -can anyone please help.

eldar

Hi Eldar

It sounds to me as if maybe you have the fixtures assigned to the incorrect start addresses. Each CX2 takes up 4 channels, so you should address the fixtures as something like 49 and 53 (the channels 1 to 48 are taken up by the generic channels, by default). Make sure that the units themselves are addressed to the same addresses as the DMX patch on the Frog. To do this, go into Super User and then Desk Setup, Assign Fixtures. Check that fixture 1 and 2 are set to Martin CX2 (4chan). If not, you'll need to get the fixture library from the main Zero88 website and load these in again - select "Select Fixture from floppy disk", then follow the commands to select the correct fixture profile. Now go into the Desk Setup menu again and go to Patch Functions, Manual Patch. Press the Fixture Select button 1 and use the + and - keys to set it to 49, then press Fixture Select button 2 and set it to 53. Now exit super user, saving the settings as you do so.

Let me know if that solves the problem,

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Hi and thanks for the reply.

All that you have detail is exactly what I did... right the way down to my fixtures being 49 and 53.

It was after doing this that my desk went all funny on me.

I'm going to go and try doing it all again from the begining, but do you have any other ideas as to why the wheels are not responding. It seems very odd that the colour function is operating the brightness of one of them and that the other lcd read outs say and do nothing.

thanks

eldar

p.s. apologies for any spelling mistakes -I can't find the spell check button, im not having a good night! :cry:

okey dokey,

I've just gone through and put all the data in again. The wheels are all reading as they should! Unfortunatly there is now a rehearsal on the theatre space so I can't test it but it's looking good...

I'm not sure what I must of done to get the lcd screen to read nothing and the wheels to repond as they did. Hopefully it's now fixed though.

Thanks again for your help, even if it confirmed what I had done -I must of made a mistake somewhere though I'm not sure where!

eldar

Hi eldar,

Glad things are getting sorted for you. What software version is the desk running? The '???' thing is odd - that's what the desk puts up on the wheel LCD when it's confused about something.

If you're running the latest software (10.4) and you can make it do that again, please let me know how so I can look into it.

Cheers,

Paul.

oh poo, made myself look silly -I looked in desk info but didn't notice the up and down option.

I'm on software 9.6 (.1?) and I've just tried to make my desk go funny and I can't -probably a good thing though not in your quest for knowledge. I've loaded up the fixtures six times now!!

cheers

eldar

Are you using an external monitor display? Most if not all of the menus are displayed in full on the monitor, making it easier to see what's there.

Would be worth you upgrading from 9.6, a number of bugs relating to the stability of memory data when assigning and unassigning fixtures have been fixed since then.

Download here. Instructions here.

Thanks for the replies on this. I don't have an external monitor, but I'm getting one as a christmas pressie! I will upgrade my software in the new year as I finish work in 15 minutes and I'm locking the building up not to return until 2006!

If I get the same glitch again I'll let you all at zero 88 know.

Merry Christmas

eldar