Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Assigning fixtures from floppy disk

Andy128

The festival season is over so doing some housework, bringing desks up to date with software. The frogs we have are fairly new and we haven't had much time to play around yet, but I noticed a new fixture file and was wondering the way to get that in the desk, can't find anything in the manual to help me with that. Thanks in advance, Andy[/b]

The desk itself only holds the 20 common fixture types plus any additional fixture types that you may have assigned for the current show on the desk.

The main fixture library (which contains approx 650 different fixture types) is normally held on a floppy disk.

You can download the latest fixture library from the Zero 88 website and then copy it onto a floppy.

To assign a fixture to a fixture type on the floppy disk follow the instructions on Page 6-5 of the user manual.

It is also possible to change the set of common fixture types stored on the desk. For this you will need one of the fixture editing tools which can be downloaded from the Zero 88 website. This tool allows you to create your own common fixture type file containing up to 20 fixture types. Thsi file (called a CFT file) is then copied onto a floppy disk and can be loaded onto your desk via the Floppy Disk functions - see page 6-11 of the User manual for further details.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi,

I am having trouble making head or tail of just how to operate my new Moving Lights (DTS XR8's) with my Fatfrog. Tried working my way through the manual & it doesn't make any sense to me!!

Is there anyone who has, or can get me a straight-forward tutorial?

I've tried looking for the Sam Henderson one mentioned on some sites but can't find it anywhere.

Thanks,

Ktbcurious

Have you managed to get the fixtures patched into the desk? That's the first step, and involves going into Super User, selecting Desk Setup and then Assign Fixtures. You'll need a fixture profile for the fixtures you're using - you can download the Fixture Library (Release 18) from our main website.

If you've got them patched in, next step is to exit super user and start controlling them. Let us know how you get on :)

Peter Kirkup

Hi,

Thanks for your help so far!!

Have tried to copy the Fixture Library to floppy disk, but keeps saying it's too big a file for the disc to take? Floppy is the only data input facility on the board.

Also upon looking at the text file attached to the Library the DTS XR8 Spot isn't listed as a fixture at all, either 16 or 20 bit.

Any further suggestions?

Have tried to copy the Fixture Library to floppy disk, but keeps saying it's too big a file for the disc to take? Floppy is the only data input facility on the board.

Note - There are two different versions of the fixture library; the full one and the filtered one that has the parameters details removed in order to fit it onto a single floppy disk. Make sure that you download the filtered one listed on the fat frog page (CLICK HERE) rather than the Leap Frog 48/96 or Frog 2 page on the website.

Also upon looking at the text file attached to the Library the DTS XR8 Spot isn't listed as a fixture at all, either 16 or 20 bit.

If the fixture you require is not in the library, you can create your own type using the fixture editor which can be downloaded from our website. If the fixture profile is similar to one by the same manufacturer you can import that type and edit it or you can create a new fixture type from scratch.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 3 months later...

Hi there we have recently acquired some ChromaQ Colorblock DB4 lights, I have been trying to assign these as fixtures on our Fat Frog desk.

I have download the most recent fixture library 19 from here http://support.zero88.com/main/en/product/9. and unzipped it I placed the lft file on a floppy disk and then tried to assign the fixtures from this disk but the desk isn't finding any fixture files on the disk.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Also our desk doesn't appear to have the latest firmware on it so I download the Frog Series Operating Software Release 10.9 but am unsure how I go about updating this software. Can you help please.

Thanks

Mike Evans

I have tried formatting the disk in the Desk but will give it another go and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for those instructions

Have tried formatting a brand new disk in the desk and copying the files to it but the desk still isn't finding the file on the disk

The fixture library that was on the website might (depending on how you unzipped it) have put the files in a subdirectory named Peter Kirkup\Fixture Libs. This isn't where you want the files, they need to be in the root directory on the floppy disk. I've removed the path information from the zip file on the website to avoid this happening for anyone downloading it from now on.

Also the name of the library IFT file was too long for versions of desk software prior to 9.8 to recognise, so I've shortened it for better compatibility.

Let us know if this solves your problem.

• 10 months later...

The Fat Frog doesn't store the fixture library on the desk, it doesn't have enough memory. Fixtures are assigned directly from the library on the floppy disk.

There are however 20 common fixture types stored on the desk which you can change if you want to. See THIS TOPIC for further information.

• 8 months later...

My Fat Frog console displays the message ERROR – NO FIXTURE DATA FOUND when trying to select any Martin fixture from the floppy disk containing version 21 of the fixture library.

The txt file that is downloaded with the library indicates that there are martin fixtures in the library. Suggestions please.

I am running the Fat Frog on Software v10.12

Look forward to your reply.