Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

lightmaster xl - not working

Hi, managed to get an xl which powers up okay but does not control the dimmers. (The par lights stay on continuously). As a complete lighting novice, and having worked through the manual with no effect, could someone guide me to what i might do next. Many thanks Andy

Is this the first time this system has been used or has it been working before? The reason I ask is that Pulsar use a different pinout to Zero88 on their analogue DIN connectors, which is a notorious source of problems. Try unplugging the control cables from the XL and see if the green LEDs come on then.

If you haven't done so already, then try a Super User Desk Reset (details in the manual) to get rid of any strange settings that may be in the desk. If there's still no joy, then call our Service Manager Keith in the office (01633-838088) - he'll be able to talk you through some more diagnostics and what to do if it then looks like you need to get the desk repaired.

• 13 years later...
18 hours ago, RosCo said:

I have a LightMaster XL which is not outputting to a DMX Dimmer Pack

Channels 1 - 7 have the channel preview leds lite.

Are you the same person that posted on The Blue Room as well?

If so then my answer there still stands (if it's not you then my apologies)

When did you last have the internal battery changed? Whilst probably the second most indestructible desk in the old Zero88 range - Lightmasters don't age well if their internal battery isn't kept track of and changed as it fails because the battery eats the PCB tracks it's mounted on. 😞

If you'd like to eMail me at ian at serviceguy dot co dot uk (done to prevent me getting more nigerian relatives finding me :P ) then I have a scanned copy of the manual for the internal tests that will let you check the analogue encoders in the desk but I suspect it's likely to be the battery - in 20 odd years, I've never had to repair and XL for anything else.

eMail for the test procedure & try that but I suspect that it might be a portent of bad news 😞

If it was you - my offer still stands, drop me an eMail and I'll send a copy of the internal test procedure document.

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk