Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Fixture Editor 2.6.0.0 on Windows7

kgallen

It might be worth trying the Windows 7 compatibility troubleshooter on it and see what that reports (from memory - right click then Properties and in Compatibility).

It sounds like some like there may be a memory leak or a port being accessed that does something else in Win7.

Jon will be along in a while and give a full technical explanation I'm sure :P

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk

Hi Ian (long time no-see!).

Interesting - I wasn't aware of that feature!

Anyway, it suggested running under XP-SP2 settings. The FE started, Win7 survived, but the FE is completely locked itself now (can't even promote the window to the front!).

Will try and get rid of it and try another setting (although I was forced to save the settings for this program which seems a little premature for maybe intermittant issues...)

Cheers,

Kevin

Hmm, same behaviour with XP-SP3 compatibility.

It seems what happens, is the FE starts, the dialog comes up asking whether you want to open an existing fixture or start a new one, but then closes itself straight away. Then the FE itself is locked.

Just started the FE 5 times from the start menu (as I was before the OP) and no problems (as in Win7 doesn't crash and the FE appears usable). But I'm not sure now if it's running with some compatibility settings Win7 has burried under the hood.

Jon - if you could comment if Win7 is supported then I'll put it down to bad luck, or try and note symptoms if the issue reoccurs.

Thanks,

Kevin

Risky - yes, I attached a safety bond to my belt before "launching"!

That'll be you and your other 'hobby' crossing over in to Lighting then? :P

P.S. I've known Kevin since I started at CTS and he used to sit outside the shop waiting for me to open up at 7:30 looking for extra bits and pieces.

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk

• 8 months later...

P.S. I've known Kevin since I started at CTS and he used to sit outside the shop waiting for me to open up at 7:30 looking for extra bits and pieces.

A wife and kids (oh and moving 100 miles further away) soon put a stop to that. Stage Electrics (Bristol) aren't half as accommodating [didn't mean it Pete, you're 'luverly']!