Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Off Line Editor

GLX

What`s the chance of an off line editor for the frog range,so we can break the back of programming on site and get to catering for a change!

Something with a visual aspect would be nice,so we can see what we are doing!!

ANY ONE ELSE UP FOR THE IDEA?? :idea:

• 3 weeks later...

Ohh what a great idea!

I've been using the Lightjockey from Martin and they have an offline thing, works very well.

Most of the gigs I do are at the same loaction with the lights setup pretty much the same way so I'd be able to save so much time on the actual day.

Good idea!

I don't know how it should be implemented...

1. A PC version of the FROGs, where you save the show onto floppy disc?

2. Or a DMX input card on you PC so you program on your real desk and show it on the PC?

Best Regards

Kresten Bager

Kresten Bager

Polyteknisk Scenelys

www.scenelys.dk

• 2 weeks later...

I'd offer my vote for an Off Line Editor as well. I have in the past been saved by the OLE for the 520i. I would, however, like to see a very different route to Strand’s effort. One, it does not work in any modern version of windows (NT, 2K, or XP), and two, it uses a huge number of key shortcuts, very difficult.

Instead of mimicking the desk exactly, an application that is suited to the windows UI would be preferable. Just my opinion though.

Overall having used the Fat Frog for the fist time in anger last weekend my congratulations to Zero88, it’s a fine piece of kit. We have it driving a couple of old Permus racks via a Compulite DMX -> D54 Converter, which works perfectly. I just wish I could have more chances to stretch the frog’s legs more often. From now until next year’s Warwick Folk Festival it will probably be just endless concert washes……

• 4 weeks later...

We're only going to play that game if you show us your off-line editors first!

What would be interesting is if someone who's already done one of those 3rd party off-line editors wanted to add import/export filters for Frog shows. So you had one tool for multiple desks, and could (within limits) swap your shows between them..

Now would that sell more desks or less desks? Ummm....

Paul:

what I had in mind when I said the above statement is that some multieffect unit manufacturers publish their MIDI implementation and I have seen programmers creating off-line or even real-time editors for specific products (i.e. Roland/Boss units etc). Some of them evolve to really good software.

I haven't seen any off-line editors for lighting desks and I am sure such a feature would not help you sell more desks and certainly would be of limited interest to the installed base of your customers. But if the file format of a show backup is not something copyrighted what do you have to lose ? It looks to me like an ascii file more or less and someone may have some free time at work ...

Angelos

We're only going to play that game if you show us your off-line editors first!

What would be interesting is if someone who's already done one of those 3rd party off-line editors wanted to add import/export filters for Frog shows. So you had one tool for multiple desks, and could (within limits) swap your shows between them..

Now would that sell more desks or less desks? Ummm....

• 4 weeks later...

Why not go the Avolites way and create an emulator of the Frog software, that we can use on our PCs and load onto the desk once we get on site. Could be very useful and i'm sure very popular. I appreciate it has implications for all sorts of issues, but it would be useful, so i'm suggesting it.

Also, what happened to 'it'll be on our website on Monday' as I was told at PLASA? Are you adding yet more to the release, or just delaying it for more testing? Update us, please.

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Great idea!

Would also allow you to create and name all pallets. You'd then just have to program them on site! Same with fixture set-up and DMX patch.

I know it's a no no word here but Whole Hog i available in an PC version.

Could be a real time saver!

Best regards

Kresten.

Kresten Bager

Polyteknisk Scenelys

www.scenelys.dk

• 2 months later...
Kirkup_xp wrote:

Why not go the Avolites way and create an emulator of the Frog software, that we can use on our PCs and load onto the desk once we get on site. Could be very useful and i'm sure very popular. I appreciate it has implications for all sorts of issues, but it would be useful, so i'm suggesting it.

Frog Reference No 5166 - Desk Setup Utility on a PC - to be reviewed.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Are there any plans to produce an offline editor for the Frog Series? I found this facility very useful when I used to work in a venue which had a Sirius 250.

I appreciate that all you guys and gals at Zero 88 are putting a lot of time and effort into developing the desk itself. Just wondered if it had been considered for the future.

John Huson

Lighting Manager

Pearce Hire

http://www.pearcehire.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

An offline editor for the desks has been on the list for consideration since pretty much day one I think! Unfortunately it would not be simply a port of the desk software to run on a PC, it would need to be a completely separate piece of software with the look and feel of the Windows GUI. This would be a substantial piece of development work, which has to have some commercial justification, as we guess you guys are going to want us to give it away. After all, software is free, right?

We need to understand how a PC based editor would fit into the product range, what capabilites it needs to have, and, if it's going to be free, how it can be done in a way that would promote the Frog range.

All suggestions for offline editor features are being collated and logged for if/when we do it, so keep them coming! And of course, promise our sales team that you'll buy more desks, not less, if a PC editor was available!!

An offline editor should (like Pearl Simulator) emulate all the functions of the desk and integrate with some sort of 3D modelling software so you can emulate the entire show offline.... I think if the software was good enough and reliable, most Frog users would be willing to chuck £20 your way for it.... Am i right guys? (Thats a LOT of £20's, if everyone bought it)

Peter Kirkup

• 3 weeks later...

:roll: I know what would be great! :roll:

A home desktop computer program where you can install it on your computer and then in the program you create the variables for your scene. Stage size, Fixture type, Placement, and others. Also you would have all the functions of the frog controller right there on the program too.

Then you could set your scenes up and save them into a show file to load into the frog controller at the gig. Thus all the program time is cut down for people who change stage setups often. Plus you can come up with tons of other looks and actually spen some time being artistic and creative.

I hope I could do this at work and get paid but if I have to do it in my spare time I know I would! How bout you? :D

ldrin,

You can program you entire show from home already. All you have to do is carry you frog home, purchase Wysiwyg and you are good to go.

At first I was all for the idea of an offline virtulizer, but now I think a better editor is more important. Some way of editing patches, pallets and so on. But this has been discussed many times before.

But hey, if the guys at Zero88 want to distribute a free offline virtulizer then I'm all for it!

Kresten.

Kresten Bager

Polyteknisk Scenelys

www.scenelys.dk

Hi folks,

WYSWYG is nice, but pretty expensive. An alternative product of your choice could be the Avolites Visualiser, less expensive but without any working rendering. Ã am using it at the training lessons of the frog desks and it works fine!

Please keep in mind:" This is NO Advertisement just a hint!!! :D

Cheers

Sven

Sven Paulsen

Klangfarbe Vienna

• 5 weeks later...

Hi folks

Have already had a hunt through the site, and haven't found anything about this, so i thought i would ask, but sorry if i am dragging up old news!

Is there / will there ever be an offline editor available for the Frog series similar to Offstage for the sirius250/500?

Because I do not own my own desk, yet spend a lot of time operating rented/installed desks, the offstage editor was a HUGE time saver :D. Now, the hire companies I use are starting to phase out the sirius desks in favaour of the new Frogs (which I have to congratulate you on - they are QUALITY desks) but I'm having to spend more time programming the desks for each show (and therefore have to hire it for longer ££££ :!: :!: ) :(

Is there a windows based editor in the pipe line, or I am just getting my hopes up?

I agree with 'kirkup_xp'. I would certainly be willing to chuck an extra £20 at the software, but I do appreciate this is something you guys are looking in to, and your reasons for NOT doing it, so fair enough.

On another note...

Within the offline editor for the Sirius 250/500, the Print function does not work, even in the most recent versions. Again, sorry if am dragging up old news, but are their ever any plans to get that sorted? - It would be useful!

Cheers Guys

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Miles

Hi,

I was wondering if its possible to edit show data (timings/levels etc) on a pc from a saved show.. as sometimes I remember while not infront of the desk, a change i need to make and it would be handy to be able to just quickly make it on my pc. Even if i could get hold of a file format description that would be great cause then I could make up a little edit app.

Thanks,

Miles.

• 5 months later...

Could Zero 88 not release the specifications of the show file format, so that there could be an open source development of an offline viewer, as I would imagine that constructing a simple editor for the files would not be over complicated, if it didn't require fancy 3d features. This would also allow people with a programming background to add features more easily to an offline editor.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

By offline editing I presume you mean programming the desk at home on a pc, and then transferring the show to your actual desk? In this case, you want the Phantom Frog. This is the Frog Series Offline Editor, and is available here. It is basically your desk onscreen. Save to floppy disk, and load on your desk.

Hope this helps

sp