Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Lightmaster XL/XLS

Hi,

We have got a XLS desk also in our hiring gear but it is a little ill, will say it has a headache :? It loses all its memories after about one day ...

and while a show is played only on Chase 3 a problem is counting the steps

I have programmed about 5 steps per memory and while running, it counted up to 99 steps then disp says NL. or ER.

I changed the internal memory accumulator but it didn´t bring the desk back to live ... I don´t want to scrub such a simple to use and good lighting item.

TIA

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

Hi

This cetainly sounds like a memory battery problem, But if you have changed it......

I would suggest, leave the unit plugged in and on for at least 24Hrs. To ensure the battery has full charge.

Then use super user to do a "clear all" followed by a "reset".

This should give you a factory configured desk.

Then put in one simple chase ie chase channels 1 to 12 in 12 steps.

Then run this overnight. Check in the mornig that the chase is still running and is not corrupt.

Then turn the desk off and on a few times, check the chase has not been corrupted.

the desk should now be a "good" desk.

As a general rule it is a good ideas to do a clear all reset betwen hires. As you know what state the desk goes out in then.

Rather than finding the last users put in a strange patch and strobe channels etc.

Hope this helps .... let us know

westy

Thanks Dwest

and welcome to the forums ...

Then use super user to do a "clear all" followed by a "reset".

This should give you a factory configured desk.

This I have done before a thousend times

I´m not sure but I think that the internal memory is defective

I try to charge the accumulator for about 24hrs and

run a test chase pattern ...

Thanks again for your opinion on this problem.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

• 1 year later...

Dear all.

I have an old XL with a tiny problem.... :cry:

All functions seems to work ok, but the displays are dead 98% of the time - and corrupt 1% of the time. (I can store scenes, but it's a bit difficult to know what page I'm on ...)

If you know of a service manual on this beauty or maybe a solution to my problem, please do not hesitate to give me a hint ....

WBR Stian Hartviksen

Mini Musikk, Norway

Two things that I would first check.

First is the battery. Make sure that this is ok. No signs of corrosion and that it is reading 2.2V or above without power and below 4.2V with power.

Second I would also try removing the 63b05 AcAI as this can stop the displays from working by dragging down the address lines and clock etc.

Other than this then you are starting to look at the HC373 and LM7218 that drive the displays.

Regards,

Keith Rogers

keith.rogers@signify.com

DD: +44 (0) 1633 833 101.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Keith.

I've checked the battery. 3.6V without power and 3.9 with power.

I tried to find the 63b05 AcAI, but this is not on my board. I can find a 68B03, and have tried to remove this one without any luck solving my problem. - The display is then showing (constantly) "C" in the Memory Control Display. This should then probably rule out a error on the display circuits?

I have also another Display Board with a defective Mode Switch and have tried this in the XL board (Bypassed the Mode Switch). Still with the same error. Since I don't have another HC373 in my office I've not been able to check this yet.

When I've tried to find a solution to my problem I've also found that the functionality of the XL is not quite right. Sometimes the Master A and B faders are bypassed and only the Grand Master is functioning. (Often when the XL has been switched on for eg 5-30 minutes and the Mode Switch is in Preset or Run mode - Not in Program mode). The displays are also sometimes showing/flashing wrong information. Eg the Memory Control Display is flashing 22 when I'm on page 2. (Showing/flashing 22 one to four times before it's black again) - If I change to page 3 it may show 23 or 53, the last digit is always correct when it's displayed.

Do you have any other suggestions ?

WBR Stian Hartviksen

• 2 weeks later...

I have just purchased a XLS lighting desk for the students, something easy to use.

My problem is that it keeps resetting, kinda like the power is been cut to it and then restored.

Could this be a problem with the battery inside?

either dud or flat?

I'll leave it on overnight to see if anything improves.

Thanks

It's possible but I'd expect the desk to stay not working if the battery was duff. When you say it 'resets' what exactly happens? Do all the lights go out? It sounds more like a loose connection on the power side to me.

ex-Leap Frog Owner, ex-Mambo Frog Owner, ex-XLS Owner, ex-Alcora Owner, ex-Elara Owner

Owner of a big pile of Betapack 2s

Bozone (n): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating.

"Am I dreaming this?" "No, and you ain't in Kansas neither."

"Longbottom's been neglecting his ear muffs."

It's possible that it's the battery but it doesn't feel like it. A new battery is cheap and easy to get so it might be worth swapping it anyways.

What it sound like is a loose connection inside the desk. ICs mounted in sockets have a habit of working themselves loose after a while as they heat up and cool down. Gently giving each of them a good push will normally reveal at least one which goes back into it's socket with a satisfying 'creak/crunch'. Or could it be the mode switch is dirty? Again, fairly easy to get hold of and replace.

ex-Leap Frog Owner, ex-Mambo Frog Owner, ex-XLS Owner, ex-Alcora Owner, ex-Elara Owner

Owner of a big pile of Betapack 2s

Bozone (n): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating.

"Am I dreaming this?" "No, and you ain't in Kansas neither."

"Longbottom's been neglecting his ear muffs."

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

First, please pardon my basic english.

I need some help to try to fix a problem

with a Zero88 XLS24 lighting desk :

Sometimes, not always.., on power on all the leds

stay on , and then either it keeps like this,

either it comes back after a variable time

to an almost frozen, unoperable mode.

Does anyone knowing this desk have ever encountered this ?

Maybe a "dirty" µP reset at power on but i lack elements

to make a serious diagnostic

Where could i get a service manual/schematics ?

I'd like to fix this problem myself, i have been modestly working

in audio and light repair, so you can be (reasonably... ) technical.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

Franck

• 2 weeks later...

My first guess would be to check the battery.

You need 2.2v on the battery to start the desk.

what is probably happening is the battery is charging up while the power is on then kick the desk in but needing a reset to do it correctly.

it could also be the acai uart ic stopping the crystal from running when it powers up. You could try removing the ACAI and see if this cures the problem acai is labelled as 63b05 and is in the left hand side of the pcb if looked at with the card socket towards you.

Regards,

Keith Rogers

keith.rogers@signify.com

DD: +44 (0) 1633 833 101.