Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Email / messages SPAM

davelowe

Just about sending you a PM Edward, about this, and discovered this topic.

Here too.

Freelance Theatre Lighting designer/operator/allround technician/tech production/rental . Netherlands.

FLX, FLX S48 2U, Solution, 13" multitouch monitor, 15" portable multitouch monitor, 11.4" lenovo thinkpad touch, network hub with wifi, powered usb hub, keyboard, trackball. 2x Elgato Streamdeck, nodes: showtec 2-3 and Lightshark node-4  2x 19" networkswitch,  IOS zeros remote.  22" Iiyama.

• Jon Hole changed the title to Email / messages SPAM

Thanks so much @davelowe for highlighting this to us so quickly.

We're really sorry this has happened :(

2 hours ago, davelowe said:

think the leak of email addresses needs plugged.

Just to confirm, the forum has not been "hacked" (I've updated the topic title) and there's absolutely no suggestion that personal details have been leaked.

Instead, someone (or potentially a robot) signed up and successfully went through validation. They (/it) then started Personal Messaging accounts through the forum... depending on your account settings, you may then have recieve an email to tell you someone had sent you a Personal Message.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

There is - rightly - a fairly low bar to getting an account on this forum. This is a good thing because it means anyone who needs to join and get our collective help can get in very quickly and post their questions. The downside of accessibility that it is possible for things like this to happen - thankfully it is rare. This can happen on pretty much any social site including, for example, FaceBook.

You can't blame the forum itself. We should all judge the credibility of unsolicited messages, be wary of clicking on links in them and speedily report anything that seems wrong.

And you can't blame the moderators. If we report the dodgy messages quickly and they shut the offending account down promptly then that is the best that can be achieved. The alternative is to put obstacles in the way of joining, bar new users from using direct messages and generally get in the way of helping us and, particularly, new users with genuine problems.

I'm happy with it the way it is. I think I've only had two messages like this since joining - well down on the frequency and annoyance caused by rest of my (very limited) social media presence.

11 minutes ago, Davidmk said:

I'm happy with it the way it is. I think I've only had two messages like this since joining - well down on the frequency and annoyance caused by rest of my (very limited) social media presence.

I would also aggree with Davidmk. It used the direct message feature, your email was not visible to them, only your username, this is already public knowledge. It was the forum that sent out the email (if you had it set to alert you of messages) I personally am happy with the situation and impressed with the speed it was handled.