Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

HipHop Event

TommyFitch

Hi Guys,

Hoping you can help me out, Ive got an event coming up shortly where Ive been asked to do the LX for a HipHop group.

Kit wise we have:

4 x MAC250 Kryptons

2 x ROBE 160XT's

4 x PAR64's and 1 4ch Dimmer Pack

1 x Fat Frog

Now I feel thats a nice selection of kit for the small venues we are doing, and I do have many many hours behind me both Oping and Designing, but all my previous work has either been Theatre stuff or Rock Bands.

The PAR's are gonna be open white and used for front lighting the group.

So, theres a far amount of other lights for colours and gobos. As per usual I intend to make up a pile of presets and chases and call them from subs, for the show as I havent heard theyre music yet.

So..if anyone out there has lit these kinds of events or got any gd ideas for HipHop style stuff, then I would most grateful..

Cheers in advance !

Tom :P

Personally, I would put your 2 160 xt's on the floor (sl and sr) casue that should give you a good effect and will allow you to side light the group and well as doing audiance stuff as well.

I think the Pars at the front is a good idea as that will create a base for the rest of the design and keep there faces lit!

You have got some really nice kit and so I am sure you will bebale to create some amazing effects.

If anything though I would try and use a few more generic lanterns (like pars (if I remember correctly- you have quite a few and another multidim dimmer!) to maybe backlight- that way you could add some more colour!!

Sam

Hi Sam,

Yeah gd point, (must remember a Jack to Jack)

Thanks for ur ideas, I was thinking sumin along the same lines.

Apparently I have 2 Winch T-Stands Available, so my intention was to put a 160XT and 2 PAR's on each stand and have them sat either side of the room a couple of metres in front of the stage, which would allow the robes to scan the audience nicely. Then a MAC either side as u said SL and SR, and then the other two MAC's on Boxes BSC. with like 2metes gap between them...

So can light from Back, Side and Front..which should make quite a cool effect with sum colours and gobos thrown in.

Im thinking of making up a couple of variations using the FROG, on STOL, and a pile of my own chases and scenes thrown in for gd measure...

Any ideas of colour washs that mix well...Ive found a nice Magenta wash with Yellow Gobos scanning round work well..

And oh yeah, Ive been told they are going to be doing Break Dancing Competitions..so would a few strobing chases be a gd idea ?

Thanks for your help !! :D

Tom

I'll see if I can knock something up on WYSIWYG (my new toy- lol) for you and post images here!!!

Sam

Well of course we can't afford that either but does anyone know of any much cheaper, perhaps even free (might be pushing it a bit there), stage design tools for use in a school?

sp

OK, Well this isnt great but it is soemthing to start with at least!

I have only really started to use it and so its not that amazing,

I cant make the image smaller so here is a link!! http://imagehost.5gigs.com/uploads/design%20promo2.jpg

more will follow when I have a bit more of a play and I will render some as well!

Sam

Hi Sam,

please re-render your pic to 640x480 ( much smaller than now)

The posting of images in the Frog Forums is allowable as long as there are only a few images per post, the files are compressed, and the images are small enough to load at a reasonable speed for our dial-up users, and do not fill a screen several times over.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

It looks like Haytech got there before me again, but he has a valid point :lol:

We allow photos/images/WYSIWYG renderings etc in these forums to illustrate the posts, but please can you ensure that all images posted are 640 x 480 pixels or smaller.

If you have a large number of images, or individual images which are greater than 640 x 480 could you please use a link to them rather than inserting them directly in the posts.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey,

Soz for the late reply,

Please see...

http://www.eslonline.co.uk/29thtour01.asp

and the rest off www.eslonline.co.uk for other information about our previous concerts.

Im afraid theyres only a few rather bad pics on that page, as I was running the show at the time, and Dan didnt rly get on with my camera..so all the pics that were taken were appaling...these are just a couple that happen to be infocus..

When we get sum more events, I will try and get sum decent pics of them.

All the best.

Tom.