Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

No contact with fixtures after update

milon

After I updated our FLX S48 to 7.13 and then loaded our saved Complete Show file I can see I have all fixtures in the schedule that I assigned before, but I don't have any connection to my fixtures. Nothing at all happens when I use the submasters.

I tried and saved Complete show again and the I saw the new file is .zos and the older ones are .isf. i tried to load both of the files but it doesn't work.

I have checked the dmx-cable over and over again and it's connected. 

I tried to delete one fixture and added it again and it still doesn't work.

I restarted FLX after loading Complete Show file, that did not help.

The lamps blink like when FLX is off, like they are not connected.

What am I missing?

I'm not sure a ZerOS show file has ever had the extension .isf, that sounds more like a fixture file.

I don;t have S48, are there LEDs on the back that relate to the DMX outputs? Are these on?

In Setup can you check the Fixture Schedule and the universe/DMX addresses are as you expect and as on the fixtures (I'm sure they are as they worked before, but let's confirm).

Under Setup in Universes is Universe 1 (or other Universe if that's what you're using) is enabled for output on the DMX port you're using?

Under the Z key under DMX Output tab can you see DMX values changing as you GO through your cues (or raise your playbacks)?

Attach your showfile (the .zos) to this thread then folk can check that out for you.

DMX-adresses  are as expected and are matching the fixtures.

I only have one Universe and it's enabled, and DMX is enabled in Setup.

The values are changing in Output window when I raise and lower  masters.

It´s like the DMX-cable isn't connected, but it is.

I my fixture schedule everything in the column "Fixtures/Modes" is pink/red. If i change Fixture Type the new Type is in white but Fixture still does not work.

I'm attaching both .isf file which I created before update and .zos file I created after update and after I loaded the .isf file. (The .isf file was what Save Complete Show rended before update

Zero88 20230328 complete show.isf Zero88 20230328 complete show.zos

24 minutes ago, milon said:

I my fixture schedule everything in the column "Fixtures/Modes" is pink/red. If i change Fixture Type the new Type is in white but Fixture still does not work

The red means they are "non-library fixtures" (don't worry I have the same as I write a lot of my own fixture definitions).

That you can swap one out to a library fixture (so it turns white) and it still doesn't work is confusing.

Given you have your showfile saved I would do a reset desk, patch one of your fixtures from the library and see if you have control from the programmer. Given the DMX Output window is showing activity we need to prove from the basics that your DMX Output is working.

I think there is both a 5-pin XLR and 3-pin XLR output on S48 and they have independent output electronics, so are you able to try both? You'll have to enable then in Setup->Universes.

We'll take a look, but this showfile has gone from ZerOS 7.9.4 to ZerOS 7.13, so a LOT has changed - nine software updates across almost 5 years!

It's almost certainly related to the major changes to SETUP in ZerOS 7.9.5. The release notes had the following text:

Compatibility
Due to significant changes throughout ZerOS, especially within SETUP and Effects, showfiles created within ZerOS 7.9.4 or earlier should be thoroughly tested before being used in show-critical situations. Most showfiles saved in ZerOS 7.9.5 will not be entirely backwards compatible with earlier versions of ZerOS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control