Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Lightmaster XL/XLS - DMX Patching

riggit

Hello,

I don't know if anyone can help me, but I understand the Lightmaster XLS can do DMX and Analogue. Can it do both at the same time like 24 channels analogue and the rest DMX or is it an either or an and situation?

Basically, analogue dimmers, but some DMX aswell and we cannot afford Demux..

Also is it possible to link a laptop?

The brightness channels are output on analogue and DMX; the colour section is output on DMX only.

The only way to link a laptop to an XLS would be if your laptop had a MIDI port, and you were running some kind of MIDI software on the laptop.

Have a read of the XLS manual for further information on it's MIDI capabilities, CLICK HERE.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Using a XL, these are the options: address one or more dmx channels to a fader; once addressed, they're not available for other faders.

So you can drive analog and dmx at the same time, but with a restriction.

E.g. faders 1 to 6: analog outputs 1 to 12; faders 7 to 12: dmx channels 13 to 512. Consider the preset faders as a sort of channels-master, each fader driving a number of channels analog and/or dmx.

It is not possible however to store certain dmx configurations in the page-faders, and then reconfigure the (analog/) dmx patch for other 'extended' features. You have to stick with your initial dmx patch.

A midi connection can not change this, it's meant for something different..

I guess this also applies for the XLS, being a member of the same family.

"... who remembers that far back ..."

What is old? Mercury and Sirius are much older then frogs, but referenced to the galactic space-time perspective (to name one), all the matter doesn't matter.

as far as I can remember the original XL / XLS series:

XL:

is limited to 96 DMX channels.

XLS:

has two memorys for DMX patches. (P1/P2)

I wonder that the XLS isn´t limited in outsending DMX signals :shock: but I´ve just checked the manuals ...

regards

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

• 3 years later...

Hi!

I have bought a Lightmaster XL several years ago. I have always been using it with an analog 6ch dimmer.

Now I have expanded my light system a little to 16 DMX channels. (4 x 4ch dimmers)

Normally I am using 4 ch stage front L+R. (2 dimmers) That leaves me 8 ch (2 dimmers for back and side lights)

That gives one DMX channel each fader.

Now I have a project were I need to control 16 individual DMX channels with 12 faders.

In preset mode fader 1 controls DMX ch 1 and 13.

I have tried to program P1 fader 1-12 (DMX 1-12) turning off DMX 13-16 and program

P2 fader 1-4 by patching DMX 13-16 on and DMX 1-4 off.

It didn´t work.

Is there a way to control all the 96 ch individually or will they always be 1,13,25,37.....etc at the same time?

Timmy

The P1 and P2 indications refer to 2 different patches that the desk can store. Only one of them can be used at a time though. When a desk channel is patched to multiple DMX channels, then those DMX channels are all controlled together, they cannot be controlled individually. The manuals for the XL and XLS can be downloaded HERE.