Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Diablo Fan Effect

I am trying to work out exactly what the Fan Effect does on the Diablo. In the manual it says you chose the channel then the fixtures, and you use the faders to control the levels of that channel on each fixture. Does it then cycle this, or is it static? It doesnt say in the manual, but sounds like you are just effectively changing the same parameter on different fixtures at the same time. Is this just a time saving feature? Is it the same as selecting a feature, adjusting the parameter, then selecting another fixture and adjusting the same parameter but to a different level?

I was hoping it would cycle thru them, making a colour chase or even a shutter chase. I was planning on using 4 strobes thru a dmx to 10v converter, and then using a memory with a fan effect to trigger them one after each other. I guess the only way to do this would be to have a page of memories, and each memory with a different strobe being triggered, then using a page chase to get them running. The only problem with this would the speed. I would have to have it running very quickly. But then other page chases running would also be at the same speed. Thats not good.

Maybe a global chase could be used for this?

Steve

www.dooza.tv

...you are just effectively changing the same parameter on different fixtures at the same time. Is this just a time saving feature? Is it the same as selecting a feature, adjusting the parameter, then selecting another fixture and adjusting the same parameter but to a different level?

Yes, it is just a time saving feature. You can achieve the same effect by going the long way round as you suggest, if you've time to kill!

I was hoping it would cycle thru them, making a colour chase or even a shutter chase

You can use the 'Page Ripple' feature to achieve this sort of effect.

I was planning on using 4 strobes thru a dmx to 10v converter, and then using a memory with a fan effect to trigger them one after each other. I guess the only way to do this would be to have a page of memories, and each memory with a different strobe being triggered, then using a page chase to get them running.

Correct.

The only problem with this would the speed. I would have to have it running very quickly. But then other page chases running would also be at the same speed.

The Diablo only has one speed setting, so yes all page chases/ripples have to run at the same speed as the sequence.

Maybe a global chase could be used for this?

The 'Global Chase Control' feature is not a chase in itself. Rather it stores the setup of the sequence and the page chases/ripples for easy recall.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I am just about getting my head around what this can and cant do.

I am I right in thinking that once you have a sequence running, say a movement only chase, I could then use a memory fader to bring up the colour? Could I also bring up a memory that has a movement effect that is on other fixtures? Is there a limit to the number of memories running with effects?

To run a sequence, you select the page, then bring up the master fader. To change the sequence running, do you have to bring the master fader down, select a new sequence, and then bring it up again? What happens if you press the page up/down mid sequence? Does it try to start the each new sequence as you step thru it? Is this why there is the global chase? So you can store the sequence page running, and the way it is running? Do the memories running with an effect get affected by changing the global chase?

So many questions, I really must try one out for myself :)

Thanks for the help so far!

Steve

www.dooza.tv

I am I right in thinking that once you have a sequence running, say a movement only chase, I could then use a memory fader to bring up the colour?

Correct. The Diablo is a full partial programming desk. Only what is tagged (yellow LED flashing) during recording is replayed, everything else stays as it was.

Could I also bring up a memory that has a movement effect that is on other fixtures?

Yes. Movement effects can be partially programmed, so you select which fixtures are included in the effect are which are not.

Is there a limit to the number of memories running with effects?

No. However a fixture can only run one effect at a time. Effects are applied LTP (Last Takes Precedence), so whichever effect you triggered last for each fixture is the one that it will run.

To run a sequence, you select the page, then bring up the master fader. To change the sequence running, do you have to bring the master fader down, select a new sequence, and then bring it up again?

You can do it this way, alternatively if you hold the Go button (below the Master fader) for a couple of seconds, it will force the sequence to change to the current page.

What happens if you press the page up/down mid sequence? Does it try to start the each new sequence as you step thru it?

Nothing happens, the Page Up/Down have no effect on the outputs until you do something else (e.g. lower/raise a fader) after the page change.

Is this why there is the global chase? So you can store the sequence page running, and the way it is running?

The Global Chase controls are intended as a quick way of recalling the chase settings, so that a variety of looks can be pre-programmed and replayed easily.

Do the memories running with an effect get affected by changing the global chase?

What do you mean by "memories running with an effect"? If you mean active submasters, then no. If you mean page chases / page ripples, then yes.

Hi Paul,

You have answered all my questions perfectly. Now for some more :D

Can a memory contain a movement effect for fixtures 1 and 3 and another movement effect for fixtures 2 and 4? Lets say I wanted to have the 1 and 3 moving in one direction, and 2 and 4 in the opposite direction, could these be stored on the one submaster?

Is it possible to make a wave effect? So instead of the scans all moving up and down, could they be offset, so that the first one moves up, then the second one moves up, then the third, and so on, just like a wave?

I think I read somewhere, maybe one of these posts, that to focus a movement effect, you position them first. If a movement effect submaster was up and running, if you then chose LIVE! and picked those fixtures, would moving the joystick override the effect and stop the movement, or would it change the focus of the movement?

Thats it for now, but I am sure I will come up with some more questions :)

Thanks again!

Steve

www.dooza.tv

Can a memory contain a movement effect for fixtures 1 and 3 and another movement effect for fixtures 2 and 4?

No, each memory can only contain 1 movement effect, however each fixture can be tagged as included in that effect or not, and each fixture can be given a different offset in the effect.

Lets say I wanted to have the 1 and 3 moving in one direction, and 2 and 4 in the opposite direction, could these be stored on the one submaster?

Yes you can do this by setting a 50% offset for fixtures 2 and 4.

Is it possible to make a wave effect? So instead of the scans all moving up and down, could they be offset, so that the first one moves up, then the second one moves up, then the third, and so on, just like a wave?

Yes, again using the offset function. When editing the movement effect, just stick the faders in a slope, and that's it!

would moving the joystick override the effect and stop the movement, or would it change the focus of the movement?

The movement carries on running, the joystick just changes the focus of the movement for the selected fixtures. Joystick adjustment of Pan/Tilt works relative for the fixtures, so they keep their relative positions rather than snapping to the absolute position of the primary fixture. So if you've programmed a nice fan, you can move the whole lot around with the joystick.

Thanks again Paul. I really think I need to get my hands on one to try out all these exciting features. I am going to buy an ex-demo one from AC Lighting, so will have a play first. They are around the corner from where I live in Wycombe, so its nice and close.

If I think of any other questions I will be back.

Take care,

Steve

www.dooza.tv