Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Using UDFs to fade in effects?

Christopher Snape

I am trying to use the UDFs with effects.

What I am trying to do is set up an intensity chase, record it into a UDF so as I can use this chase anytime over cues that are playing on the playbacks. When I do this the UDF always uses the recorded time.

For example:

If I have a state playing on stage, I would like to slowly fade the intensity chase manually into and out of that cue without affecting the cue itself. Is it possible to do this on the Frog? I can do it on the hog by recording the intensity chase into a playback fader and making that fader ICBF (intensity, colour, beam, focus) only. This means when I manually push the fader up it executes what ICBF information that has been recorded into that fader. I just tried to record the intensity chase into the playbacks as well but I still cannot get it to act as a manual effect that I can overlay at anytime.

Essentially I would like to use this feature with not only the intensity chase but other parameter effects as well. I would also need to record certain fixtures associated with the particular effect within the cue as well.

Is this possible?

:cry:

Firstly, how do you intend to put a chase onto a UDF ? You can assign a number of different things to a UDF but a chase (which is essentially a complete cue stack) is not one of them.

You could always program a cue stack and then set it to run as a chase. Then program a macro that causes the cues stack (chase) to run and then either run the macro directly or assign it to a UDK and run the macro by pressing the UDK :D

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Firstly, how do you intend to put a chase onto a UDF ? You can assign a number of different things to a UDF but a chase (which is essentially a complete cue stack) is not one of them.

You could always program a cue stack and then set it to run as a chase. Then program a macro that causes the cues stack (chase) to run and then either run the macro directly or assign it to a UDK and run the macro by pressing the UDK :D

Sorry but I did not make myself very clear. When I was speaking of chase in this example, I was talking about an intensity chase created from the effects pallet (chase, smooth, fader). This is essentially only one cue not a number of cues within a stack. I am not trying to put a generic chase into a UDF. This is only one example of what I would like to control manually from the UDFs. I also would like to (for example) make one of the UDFs gobo rotation only. If I record the gobos rotating fast into a UDF when I manually fade the fader to full, the gobos will rotate to the speed recorded, but however if I only take the fader to 50% then the gobos will only rotate half as fast as they have been recorded into the UDF (hence by only taking the fader toi 50%). So is it possable to do this?

Thanks[/i]

You can record a cue or channel data (which can include an added effect) onto a UDF. The UDF can then be set to operate in HTP or UDF mode (UDF Setup Window).

Fixture Parameter UDF - You can also record a particular fixture parameter (eg gobo, gobo rotation, shutter et.) for one or more fixtures onto a UDF which then gives you live control of that particular parameter. Whether the UDF works LTP or LTP mix or an inhibitor can be set up for each individual UDF via the UDF Setup Window - see operating manual pages 109 - 113 for full details.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace