Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

chases

Brian Eades

Hi,

Have the latest version installed,but I cannot programme a chase with 4 steps.I can go through the motions i.e.Set up a state, record to a submaster,set up a second state record to the same sub (turn into a chase)set up a third chase saved this step,set up fourth the same way.

On playback chase works but step one stays on through out.Any suggestions.

Hi Brian

The important factor here is making sure that the desk programs the channels at "0" in the future steps, otherwise the channels will track forwards as expected.

It might be worth trying this with Smart Tags disabled, to ensure you're certain which channels are being stored in each step.

Hope this helps

Peter Kirkup

Hi Brian

The important factor here is making sure that the desk programs the channels at "0" in the future steps, otherwise the channels will track forwards as expected.

It might be worth trying this with Smart Tags disabled, to ensure you're certain which channels are being stored in each step.

Hope this helps

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that, tried that but chase still chases with step one locked.My technical manager and myself had a go but some how got a build chase going.

This is what we did disabled smart tag,set up first step record to a submaster,press clear program screen empty,set up step two record to same sub chose to record as a chase,press clear, repeated for step three record to same sub.Put sub result step one static other two chase.by the way my tech manager is going to arrange a training course in our venue,he should be in touch.

Hi Brian

You need to ensure that the necessary changes are programmed into each chase step.

For example, if you wanted to chase steps 1 to 6...

Step 1: Channel 1 @ Full, Channels 2 to 5 Unprogrammed, Channel 6 @ 0 (why? Because when the chase loops back around, you need to take it down)

Step 2: Channel 2 @ Full, Channel 3 to 6 Unprogrammed, Channel 1 @ 0 (why? Because otherwise channel 1 will stay on... its value wouldn't have had an instruction to change)

Step 3: Channel 3 @ Full, Channel 1 & 4 to 6 Unprogrammed, Channel 2 @ 0....

Step 6: Channel 6 @ Full, Channels 1 to 4 Unprogrammed, Channel 5 @ 0

When you play back the chase, only the *changes* are run between each step (hence why you need to hard-program the channels at zero in order to get them to go off.

I hope this explains things a little more clearly.

I spoke with your manager today and we're looking at booking a date some time in February for training.

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Hi Brian

You need to ensure that the necessary changes are programmed into each chase step.

For example, if you wanted to chase steps 1 to 6...

Step 1: Channel 1 @ Full, Channels 2 to 5 Unprogrammed, Channel 6 @ 0 (why? Because when the chase loops back around, you need to take it down)

Step 2: Channel 2 @ Full, Channel 3 to 6 Unprogrammed, Channel 1 @ 0 (why? Because otherwise channel 1 will stay on... its value wouldn't have had an instruction to change)

Step 3: Channel 3 @ Full, Channel 1 & 4 to 6 Unprogrammed, Channel 2 @ 0....

Step 6: Channel 6 @ Full, Channels 1 to 4 Unprogrammed, Channel 5 @ 0

When you play back the chase, only the *changes* are run between each step (hence why you need to hard-program the channels at zero in order to get them to go off.

I hope this explains things a little more clearly.

I spoke with your manager today and we're looking at booking a date some time in February for training.

Peter

Thanks for that Peter I am not due back to the theatre until 14th Jan so I'll give this a try,I think I know what you are saying.

Look forward to meeting you in Feb.

Brian :)