Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

jester ml 24 desk

smythy75

sorry if this in the wrong section! i have a jester ml 24 desk, i currently hire out a hazer for the more important shows, its a 5pin dmx input and i addressed it to channel 24, it works fine, just taking the 5pin dmx lead from my last dimmer to the hazer! what i want to know is, i have a dmx splitter that takes the input from the desk and splits out to the 6 robe fixtures and the three dimmers, im looking at a 3pin dmx input hazer and was wondering, if i plug into a out out on the dmx splitter and plaug into the 3pin haze machine and set it to channel 24 will it work fine on channel 24 fader where i have it preset on the desk?

sorry, i hope this makes sense, im still learning!

Peter!

Hi Peter

The desk simply outputs DMX - the pinout that you use from there on is upto you. Technically the DMX standard stipulates the use of 5 pin XLRs although many manufacturers use 3 pin for cost reasons, the data itself remains the same (infact, so does the pinout - the 4th and 5th pins on the XLR connector are currently unused). Therefore yes, if you plug the hazer into the splitter and address it correctly, it should respond as you expect.

Good luck :)

Peter Kirkup