Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Put a color under a submaster

hwell

Hello everyone...

I've got an issue with a Leap Frog 48... I'm making a (relatively) small show, and searched te manual for this problem but i didn't find an answer.

The problem is that I want to record a submaster containing a color. In my lights I have some parcans, and the ones with the red filters should be on... That's okay and it's working. But when I try to program my GLP YPOC 575 Color in a way, that ONLY THE COLOUR changes... it won't work allright.. Because:

- When I'm using an effect (Like "move in Cirkles" or "squares"..), and I slide up the submaster, the wash gets the right color.. but stops his effect...

I have checked many times what was tagged while recording my submaster, and I had smart tagging disabled... only the color channels where tagged... but it isn't doing what it has to...

What I do...

I open up the program window, and the submasters window.

I Set up the right scene for my parcans, with the right colors.

I go to the fixtures page in the MFK's, and I choose my fixtures (4x a GLP YPOC 575 COLOR)

Then I go to the Color page in the MFK's and I choose my color (Preprogrammed in the MFK's)

I press record, and the submaster is recorded.

When I want to check if it's allright:

I fade off my parcans

I put the Wash on white

i let the washlight make an effect (circles)

and i slide up the submaster which i just programmed....

What i NOT want is that i just choose the colors for the washes in the MFK's, and do the parcans in the submasters, I want them to change at once....

Thanks in forward ;-) (And sorry for my bad english)

Hi,

I don't understand what exactly you mean - because I tried it on my Desk and it worked.

Step by step tutorial:

0. press clear twice

1. select the fixtures using the MFKs

2. select the parcans with the channel flashbuttons

3. Change the value of the color wheels and the level of the channel faders

4. Go to the submaster screen

5. Select the submaster you want to program

6. Press program

To test:

- press clear twice

- move the submaster fader

- play any effect after selecting the fixtures

Desk:

Smart Tag - OFF, Cues only OFF, Preset mix mode - LTP (better for programing - for the show I switch to HTP)

I thought I had tried exactely this, but I can try again tomorrow...

My real problem is... when I try to play an effect with my washes, can I switch color on stage, without changing the Washes' effect or position?

In our situation it was possible to switch on an effect after I moved my Submaster up... but when i do it otherwise it won't... (So i mean i can't enable an effect, and move my color submaster without changing the position or effect...).

So this is what i DO want...

I've got an quite unpredictable show.... so no playlist or something.

1. I've Programmed Position's and effects (movements) under my MFK's
  2. I put my intensity to 100 using the wheel
  3. I enable one of the positions or effects
  4. If i want another color of light on my stage, I want to slide up a submaster so my washes get a good color, and my parcans with the same colorfilters are on, as well as my led tubes

Is this clear??

Thanks in forward ;) (Sorry for my English,, I'm dutch ;))

Hi HWell...

Starting from a cleared programmer, If you only modify the colour (don't move any preset faders, set Intensities on wheels, or anything else) and make sure you disable Smart Tags, then when you record the Submaster, it will only store the colour to that Fader. (You'll know you've got it right because there will be no Fade Up/Dn times or Position or Beamshape times displayed on the monitor).

In addition, if all your fixtures are colour mixing, you might want to Setup the Submaster Controls... option to "Colour", to give you level control of the colour using the fader.

I would advise storing the effect to a Submaster and setting the Submaster Controls... to "Effects" to give you control over the effect size and speed using the fader. This gives you more dynamic shows, as you can adjust the speed subtly to match the music.

Hope this clears things up - if you're still having problems, send us a show file and we'll look at it and see what's going wrong.

Peter

Peter Kirkup

That's exactely what we've tried a few times, and we also thought it had to work... I can try again, a few times this evening, but i'm afraid it's not going to work...

Thanks, and if its still wrong after I checked it this evening i will post another message...