Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Possible bug with fixtures scenes in memory and palletes

King Tuts Engineer

Recently our venue added to our light. 12 LED scanners and 12 regular scanners. Recently i have been experimenting with the fc engine, created some nice looking movements with the led scanners quickly and easily. Tried to do the same with the regular scanners and after programming into memory and running it, its only effecting 1 of the scanners instead of 3 that i orginaly programmed.

I have tried several times doing exactly as i had done with the led scanners and evertime it only effects the first regular scanner. This is how i programmed it.

selected all fixtures that i want to program.

Open gobo so i have a beam.

Untag all parememeters except everything in position

move each fixture to desired point.

select all fixtures

then set the perameters to get desired movement.

All lights will perform the selected effect.

press go/store button and its recorded as a scene in memory. Just like i had done before with the led scanners.

But when i try and play it, only 1 fixture moves.

Is this a bug?

Also i have had a strange issue with palletes where there was a certain 2 buttons, that if you hit the first, then the second they were as programed but if you went to the previous, it would go partially back but not all fixutres. Selecting another pallete then back to the previous and it was back as it shiould, i could repeat this time after time.

Now it doesnt do it any more.

Tried again today, problem still exists, i even tried programming each light with the fx engine seperatly and recorded that as a seen. Best i got was 2 out of 3 lights moving.

Id really like to get this working soon, as the fx engine can gets some really nice smooth movements that just cant be done with programming chases manually with our scanners.

Edit, have uploaded the ift file for the scanners (made by myself for img stageline scanners, 4 leds and 4 regulars, the leds are 4 channel and the regs are 5) and my showfile that i was working on. I have a serious of scene memorys for the led scanners that work perfectly when programmed with the fx engine. The last memore (20) was used to program the regular scanner with the fx engine but only effects 1 light instead of 3.

Curiously if i programm an effect into a pallete it works perfectly. Just not in scene memory.

IMG.ift

TWIN01.JML

Yes this is a bug I'm afraid:

JES-2449 - If there are gaps in the fixture assignment, or if lower numbered fixtures do not have pan/tilt, then movement effects do not replay correctly for higher numbered fixtures.

This bug will be fixed in the next release which we are working on at the moment. In the meantime, you can work around this problem by assigning dummy fixtures (these must have pan/tilt) to fill in the gaps between your real fixtures. You don't have to patch the dummy fixtures to the DMX, you just have to have them there so the desk counts properly internally.

Thanks for the showfile which highlighed this issue.

Paul.