Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Linebacker questions...

Zeb

Hi, I've just picked up a linebacker for a sensible price to keep in my toolbox for cable testing and the odd backup job and I've got the following questions:

1. The device reports software version 1.2 and I see the manual that's available for download refers to software version 1.8. Is it possible to update the device? If so, is this available as a replacement EPROM (in which case what would the cost be) or could you supply a .HEX (or equivalent) file so I could get an EPROM programmed myself as I have access to EPROM programmers.

2. The internal backup battery appear to work OK but is looking like it's seen better days (it's starting to look a little fluffy)! It's a Varta 3.6v 110mAh Ni-Cd with the number '105'. I can't find a a replacement, only a NiMH variant but I don't know if that would be a suitable replacement. Any suggested replacement batteries?

Apart from those couple of things the Linebaker works perfectly and will come in very handy!

Many thanks.

Here is the software version history of the Linebacker...

Linebacker 32K EPROM software (software reference 95)

9501 - 03/11/1995 - V1.2

Initial issue

9502 - 25/10/1996 - V1.8

Improved user interface

9503 - 07/05/1997 - V1.9

Allow excessive breaks in GRAB and TEST INPUT

9504 - 13/11/2000 - V2.0

Dwell time corrected

9505 - 26/11/2002 - V3.0

Cable test function removed (due to obsolete part)

If you've got older hardware where the cable test function works, then I'd recommend version 2.0 as the one to upgrade to. Unfortunately due to a part going obsolete, the cable test function had to be removed in version 3.0 for the final few batches of Linebacker.

You can download the HEX files for all of the above HERE. I'd recommend programming a new EPROM and keeping your original as a backup, just in case you have any problems after upgrading.

NiCd batteries went as good as obsolete in favour of NiMH, and we switched over in later batches. You can simply fit an equivalent NiMH battery in it's place. When you have the old battery out, check for any signs of corrosion on the PCB under it - if they leak, they tend to start eating into the copper tracks.

Paul, many thanks for answering my questions so quickly! I'll grab the HEX files and get a new EPROM written - what EPROM should I use? The part no. is covered on the current one and I'd rather not rip the label off to check it! Is it a 27C256? It'll be 2.0 as the cable tester definitely works and was one of the reasons of picking it up! Thankfully it's an older one!

As for the batter - I'll get a NiMH one on order! At a glance and without removing the battery it looks like the board is OK. Fingers crossed it is when I get the battery off!

Many thanks once again, Neil.