Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Patching scrollers

David Chadderton

I'm sure there is a really simple answer to this but I can't work it out from the manual. I need to program some generic lanterns into a Jester ML 48 with DMX scrollers on the front. I've found a fixture setting for 'lamp + 1 channel scroller' in the fixtures, but it only enables you to enter one DMX channel for the lamp and not a separate one for the scroller. What am I missing?

In the DMX Patch menu when the fixture is selected, the left and right cursors will allow you to select the 'Lamp' and 'Scroll' parts of the fixture to set the DMX addresses. See "Patching Multi-Part Fixtures" on page 43 of the (Issue 2.2) manual.

That's exactly what I did, but the cursor just keeps moving between the DMX channel field and 'OK'.

By playing around on the emulator, I've managed to work it out myself. It seems that you must put the cursor on the fixture number field before pressing the left or right key. I've been through the manual many times to try to work this out before asking for help, and it seems that this is one of the many things in it that is explained incompletely or poorly. And for some reason it contains several references to the French comic strip character Asterix!