Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Submaster Lock

sp

Would it be possible to lock a submaster value when you move off of its page?

For example:

Say you have a bar of parcans page 1 sub 6. You raise them to 80%. Then you go to page three and you see an effect you want that's also on sub 6. Obviously you can't have both as its HTP (this wouldn't be a problem for LTP).

My suggestion would be that when you leave page 1, if you lower sub 6, the parcans stay how they are. Now you can use it on page 3 to control your effect.

Then when you return to page 1 to lower the parcans, you raise the sub to 'pick up' their level, and you have control over them. All the while leaving the effect running happily on page 3. Then return to page 3, pick up the effect level, and so on.

I appreciate that the new desk has more functionality for submasters, but would this be feasible for this series? I know its focused on generics working HTP, but there are many of us who just use these with the desk.

sp

Suppose you're at page 3 and open sub 5, now you go to page 15 and open sub 8 and sub 5. Okay you want to lose the effect you started on 5 before that... uhhh damn, where did I put that? You'd have to scroll through all the pages to find the sub you'd want to kill, and by lowering the fader you lose control over the setting in page 15, creating a same kind of problem again.

I see a lot of contras, and almost no in-favours. You've got 10 submaster faders and one playback X. That means you can start 11 things at the same time. If that's not enough, or you're running into problems with that; I think you should consider another way of programming.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

I think you should consider another way of programming.

Yeah maybe I'm approaching it in a completely inefficient way, I don't know. :)

Another suggestion, being able to lock a few subs so they don't change when you change submaster page?

sp

Please read the section on Page Overlay of Submasters on page 5-10 of the Frog Series Manual.

This is how the submasters work on the frogs and so far this appears to be acceptable.

I think the secret is basically don't put channel data or memories that you wish to use together on the same physical submaster because you will only be able to output one of them at a time. :D

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

I think the secret is basically don't put channel data or memories that you wish to use together on the same physical submaster because you will only be able to output one of them at a time. :D

That's my point. If you program some colour chases, beamshape chases and conventional things; always use the same fader for the colour chases. You'll probably don't use those at the same time (at least I don't) so you can easily switch from page to page.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Suppose you're at page 3 and open sub 5, now you go to page 15 and open sub 8 and sub 5. Okay you want to lose the effect you started on 5 before that... uhhh damn, where did I put that? You'd have to scroll through all the pages to find the sub you'd want to kill, and by lowering the fader you lose control over the setting in page 15, creating a same kind of problem again.

Okay its true that you have to search for it. But an extra screen is easily configured. Not every detail has to be on it. Make it submasters output. Where you see evey submaster and it's value (FF). That has to be enough for a quick search on what page. The next thing you can do is when you press a number on you keyboard it automatically changes the selected submaster page to its value and the normal submaster screen.

And for those who want to make it possible it fades automatically set a certain value on true or something like that.

When you do this it will make it a lot easier to mix normal static lights and so you can reserve all you sx buttons for the moving lights.

I should consider making it. Or if it's possible i would programe it myself. :wink:

greetz