Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Moving effects and Memories

jframstad

I was trying to program some moving effects under the position button on my console (Quad, Tri, Figure 8) but having some issues when they are recalled.

I have four moving lights and want to make five separate scenes

Fixture 1 Fixture 2 Fixture 3 Fixture 4

1. Stationary Stationary Stationary Stationary

2. Stationary Stationary Stationary Moving

3. Stationary Stationary Moving Moving

4. Stationary Moving Moving Moving

5. Moving Moving Moving Moving

What I want to accomplish is add a moving fixture with each memory scene. The problem I am having is when I recall (hit the Go button) the next scene, the previously moving fixture resets back to its original Pan / Tilt parameter. Is there a way to keep the moving fixtures on their current motion paths when scenes are recalled rather than them shooting back to their original P / T point and then starting the movement over?

Thanks

jframstad

• 2 weeks later...

The key here is manual tagging as opposed to Smart Tags. When Smart Tags are enabled, each cue records the changes from the previous one automatically. When Smart Tags are disabled, you can manually specify which parameters you want to program into the memories by 'tagging' by moving wheels/faders.

In your example, with Smart Tags disabled (Special Page 1), the already moving fixtures should be untagged in memories 3,4 and 5, to prevent the effects resyncronising when the memories are triggered.

I hope this helps - if you need any more help or clarification, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Peter Kirkup

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, that helped a lot.

I have another question, is there any way to tap out a chase that effects the "shutter" speed. I can adjust the shutter control under the beam shape control and set it to a specific speed, but is there a way to tap it out while a song is playing live to make the lights match up with the music?