Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Feature requests

derboessl

Hi,

I bought a Leap Frog 48 at the end of the year and i´m very happy with it.

I use it as touring desk for small music theatre productions.

After first experiences and "home training" :D I have some feature requests:

1, It would be nice to add text comments in the memory list as keywords.

2, Is it possible to display the real memory time in the playback override field?

Especially when the playback override fader is in use, it´s very hard to find the right timing, as there the time scale goes from 0 to infinite.

3, The time feature on special page 2 is a nice one to load palette settings. My problem was, that the access takes to long. I tried to program some macros to change the time, but the macros are to slow. Maybe it would be nice to change this time with a shortcut (e.g. "SHIFT+playback override fader) - actual time displayed on the screen.

4, When using intelligent lights (LED or Moving Lights) in live shows it would be helpful to program (named) cuelists on the playback fader. (same as on the big frog consoles). If this is depending on the hardware not possible it would help to get a "STEP" option on the playback flash button if there is a chaser programmed.

The existing submaster step button affects all submasters chases. So it is not possible to forward only one programmed chaser.

5, Is it possible to get a button in the setup to be forced to name palettes, groups etc, when programmed? This helps to keep the desk in order.

6, Someone asked about the posibility to see DMX channels during patching. I agree to that, especially on tour if you search channels in a new location.

7, I tried to setup a 12 channel dimmer in the fixture editor. This is not possible, because only one brightness channel is allowed. In some theatres there are more then 200 channels generic dimmers to access.

A simular problem exists with the new ROBE ROBIN LED Moving light. There are 3 zones on the fixture and each zone has its own RGB range. Multible RGB Parameters in one fixture are not possible, aren´t they?

8, Storing the views is on everybody´s wishlist :D

9, Is the desk training in Wales only for UK Customers? I´m thinking of some holidays in Wales this year. Is it possible to get a training as german foreigner? ;)

A lot of questions .. sorry about my english .. I left school some years ago .. B)

I´m looking forward for the answers ..

Stefan

Lighting Designer

Leap Frog 48 / LG1730SF

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your feedback! Hopefully I can help answer some of your questions:

1, It would be nice to add text comments in the memory list as keywords.

Could you expand on this a little please? Once you have recorded a memory you can go along to the 'name' column, press 'Enter' to start editing that cell, then use a Keyboard or the Multi Function Keys to give that memory a name.

2, Is it possible to display the real memory time in the playback override field?

Especially when the playback override fader is in use, it´s very hard to find the right timing, as there the time scale goes from 0 to infinite.

Because the speed override on the Leap Frog slows down or speeds up the fade in relation to the time you programmed, this figure would keep changing. It's also designed for 'live' control where you need to 'feel' the fade instead of have it at a set time, which would usually be prerecorded. If you want to change the fade time during the show, you can use the curser keys to go to the fade time of that memory, and use the + / - or the wheels to change the time.

3, The time feature on special page 2 is a nice one to load palette settings. My problem was, that the access takes to long. I tried to program some macros to change the time, but the macros are to slow. Maybe it would be nice to change this time with a shortcut (e.g. "SHIFT+playback override fader) - actual time displayed on the screen.

We will have a look at how this could be made quicker to update - thanks for your idea!

4, When using intelligent lights (LED or Moving Lights) in live shows it would be helpful to program (named) cuelists on the playback fader. (same as on the big frog consoles). If this is depending on the hardware not possible it would help to get a "STEP" option on the playback flash button if there is a chaser programmed.

The existing submaster step button affects all submasters chases. So it is not possible to forward only one programmed chaser.

The Leap Frog is designed to only have the one Play back (or 'cuestack'). This helps keep the desk simple and quick for programming. We retain multiple playbacks to the ORB Series of consoles.

5, Is it possible to get a button in the setup to be forced to name palettes, groups etc, when programmed? This helps to keep the desk in order.

We'll have a look at this too and discuss the options!

6, Someone asked about the posibility to see DMX channels during patching. I agree to that, especially on tour if you search channels in a new location.

This is something that we have built into the ORB Series of consoles, which are based around the keypad and command line syntax.

7, I tried to setup a 12 channel dimmer in the fixture editor. This is not possible, because only one brightness channel is allowed. In some theatres there are more then 200 channels generic dimmers to access.

A simular problem exists with the new ROBE ROBIN LED Moving light. There are 3 zones on the fixture and each zone has its own RGB range. Multible RGB Parameters in one fixture are not possible, aren´t they?

With the faders and fixtures together you can control 248 channels of dimming from the Leap Frog 48. For fixtures with multiple RGB values, we use Red1, Green1, Blue1, Red2, Green2, Blue2 etc but only select 'Red', 'Green' and 'Blue' in the 'special' drop down list for one set, leaving the other RGB sets to 'none'.

8, Storing the views is on everybody´s wishlist :D

This is something that is built into our ORB Series consoles, and something that has been discussed for the Leap Frogs. Keep tuned!

9, Is the desk training in Wales only for UK Customers? I´m thinking of some holidays in Wales this year. Is it possible to get a training as german foreigner? ;)

Not at all a problem, let me know when you are visiting and we will book you in. If you can't make one of the training dates, as long as the demo room is available we can still spend a day doing some training with you.

I hope this has all helped.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi Jon,

thank you for you quick reply!

I´m a bit in trouble with my new Internet Service Provider, so my answer took some days ..

Here I am ...

The only topic that is open was the comment field.

I usualy name my memories how they look or what part in the song they stand for ...

E.g. Strophe 106/119 or Refrain Green.

Therefore 24 characters as in the name field are enough

In the comment field is much more space for explanations, especially if working with text books

So my memory red/blue can appear 3 times (as copy) in a show, but in different situations, with changing "CUE"-words or "CUE"-sentences".

The answers to the other topics are quite clear ... Leap Frog is not a theatre console .. but it has FADERS!! :D

Thank you for the possibility to get some training ... I´m looking forward to see you maybe in spring ..

Stefan

Lighting Designer

Leap Frog 48 / LG1730SF