Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Interesting fixture issue with Frog 2

NickTaylor

Just got my new desk today so felt the need to have a play. I have installed a fixture, the Lanta Fireball Tri LED Par (Five channel) Then I have successfully programmed a sequence to a play back fader. However I found the characteristics are inverted. I found by trial and error intensity is run by position. And with the colours I have Cyan Magenta and Yellow rather than Red Green Blue. Plus with all three off I have full and vice versa! Is there an invert button in the software?

A lovely desk by the way

Hi Nick,

The console is setup in CMY mode by default. This means that ZerOS is doing the conversion of the RGB fixture into CMY. This is useful when you have some fixtures with CMY colour mixing and some fixtures with RGB colour mixing, as you only have to work in one colour space.

With CMY colour mixing, you start at white and filter out light to get the colour you want, meaning that CMY all at full is black. This is called 'subtractive colour mixing'. It's the opposite of RGB, where you start at black and add in light to get the colour you want, meaning that RGB at full is white instead. This is called 'additive colour mixing'.

If you hold SETUP and press COLOUR you will get a popup that lets you change 'Colour Edit Mode' to RGB, and the console will work how you were expecting.

Hope this helps.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Sorted. I thought it must be something like that!Its interesting that is the logic route. I assume other higher end desks do the same. Otherwise I cant see why you would have a unit that is RGB, but control it in a subtractive way. I mean when someone says I want red I would not want to have to stop and think how you get it subtractively!

Glad that fixed the problem. I guess it's no different than having to work out how to get yellow or magenta additively! Just two different colour spaces with some people preferring one and some preferring the other. We have a request on the system for this functionality to change (ZOS-3566) so in a future update, you may find that ZerOS gives you RGB if it's a RGB fixture and CMY if it's a CMY fixture (which makes sense!)

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control