Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Dmx on the xls

I have discovered an interesting problem with my school's XLS. I was trying to set up a Demux 48 with 2 dimmer packs so our Fat Frog could be used in the classroom for an exam. The xls there has been running on analogue and I had the idea of using the demux all the time and connecting the xls with dmx instead so either desk could easily be used. However, no matter what I tried, the XLS refused to drive the demux. Eventually, I grapped the frog from the main hall where it was set up for something else and it worked fine, so the cabling, demux and dimmers are fine. Is there any possible reason (except for a loose wire inside) why the xls dmx doesn't work?

Cheers and sorry for the ramble

notwhoyouthink

• 3 weeks later...

When you say does not drive when you plug the XLS into the Demux do you get the DMX receive light come on.

If yes then it could be the patch on the XLS (yes it has a soft patch). If you turn the mode select to patch it should fist give you either P1 or P2 in the page number window. If it P2 is showing then press the GO button to change this to P1.

You then use the memory plus and minus buttons to step through the patch. The page display shows you the DMX channel and the yellow and red preview LED show if the channels are patched to the memory (yellow) or to the aux (red). Pushing the channel flash button selects between them or un-patches the channel.

If you are not getting a receive light on then the only things that I can think are failure of the driver IC or as you have said a loose connection to the DMX socket.

For speed please e-mail me on krogers@zero88.com if you need any more information.

Regards,

Keith Rogers

Zero 88 Support: support@zero88.com