Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Load own written fixture in existing show

John John

Hello,

Is it possible to load my own written fixture file and patch it in an existing showfile.
I have an event with my own existing show, however the DJ has some China lights the he want's to use so I want to implement them into my show.

best regards.

John

Certainly that is possible and there are several ways to do it (see manual here).

However nothing is possible if you don't have information about the fixtures including their addresses, mode (& number of channels) and the channel usage.

Having the correct manual usually provides everything you need.

Patching is only the first step though, you may need to integrate them into your saved show - nothing will happen automatically. 

• Like 1

Hello David,

Thanks for your reply, I did write the fixture file with the Fixture file editor using the channel lay-out of the china lights.
All I want to know if I'm loading this fixture file in the desk it stay's in the desk when I'm loading my showfile afterwards and then can patch these china lights into mine showfile?
I'm not in the position to test it right now, therefore my question.

John

You can load a user fixture definition into the console using the normal Load function. It will be available for this show and any subsequent show (until you do a Factory Reset, Clear User Files or upgrade ZerOS).

When you patch it, it will appear in the fixture list in red, which means it's a non-library fixture. That's just fine (I have lots).

When you save your showfile the fixture definition will be saved with it.

Go for it.

• Like 2