Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Partial Memory Recording

K-Nine

LOL.................did you ever thought about a MAMBO lexkev?

Probably the ultimate Frog in the Frog range!!! 8)

72 memories available without changing a page!!!!

48 Palettes.....etc. yepp a real good desk!*:-)

Lexkev try it and you´ll love it!!!*LOL

cheers

Sven

Sven Paulsen

Klangfarbe Vienna

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given the topic a good thought, and came up with the following idea:

It would be great to set a new option in the "super user mode" for programming transparant palletes. The idea is to program a pallet in exactly the same way we've been doing, but when the option is set, only non-zero values get programmed. Then when you "load" a pallet, the desk should be able to recognize which attributes were non-zero, and only load those values. Maybe it would be easy (programming-wise) to use a different, for the user nonexistant, value for transparant attributes. IE. 256 would be a transparant value which isn't copied. Simple if-statements in the programming code should be able to do this I guess.

I know that transparancy at attribute-level isn't to be implemented in the next software release, but as I see it this solution isn't difficult to program at all.

The only thing an operator could complain about is the fact that 0 values can't be programmed anymore. That wouldn't be an issue since most fixtures use ranges, so values 0-5 would be exactly the same as 0. If this isn't infact true, than a question would solve the trick. Option in "super user mode": "Ask for transparant pallets? yes/no". When enabled, the desk asks "Program transparant? yes/no" when a 0 value occurs.

What do u guys think about this? Since it would be an option, unexperienced users should leave it disabled and use the desk as they always did.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Maybe you want to program some pallets for different fixtures

you can "detag" the fixtures you don´t want to program.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

I know that, but it really bothers me that it always stores the entire group. So when beamshape contains shutter and gobo, I always create 6 shutters fast-slow, 6 shutters fast-slow but unsync'ed, 6 fixed gobo's and 6 rotogobo's/prisms... When you use this approach, a nice setting with different gobo's will be killed by using one of the strobebuttons, since the gobo info will be reset.

This means I'll have to program strobes for each different gobo too, add extra prism pallets, etc. etc. A load of work which isn't really nescessary in my opinion.

I would really like to hear the programming issues concerning my request, if there are any?

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Hi

This again gets us into the whole thing of parameter level programming. I do like the concept of what you are proposing. In the new year once the next upgrade is out we will be looking at where we take Frog as a product. I will include this in the review.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

As a lot of you can see I’m very big on "true parameter" programming....

I fully understand the reason's on why you want a simple user interface...But us operators who want (need) true parameter programming, obviously can handle a icky interface....

u have

"full mode" - which must be used by %^%^&

"partial mode" - for the person who wants more flexibility

well why not "true parameter mode".....that way you still have the easy user interface for the %$%$, but allowing a method a advance control if needed....I'm sure it would make the desk more attractive, to the more demanding user????

I need a new job

• 2 weeks later...

After the worst ever getin known to mankind, six flights of narrow stairs, low ceiling, no power to speak of, and of course being mad late I decided to run the show on the fly and programmed the pallets for 12 mac 250+'s. I programmed colour,gobo & prism onto the pallets, BUT when recalling the pallets during the show trouble.

I had a gobo in and when i selected the prism from the pallets the gobo disappeared, is this a bug or just a f**k up on my part?. Anywho i'm away to bed head is flyin 8O

i take it you made a pallet with just the prism function? i.e. You have a gobo up...then u want to add a prism to it live....

Well unfortunately the frog desks cant do this........u cant do a partial memory/pallet of an individual parameter of a fixture…….

I need a new job

Firstly, it is not a bug. Palettes, like memories and submasters can be programmed down to attribute level in partial mode.

Therefore if you have fixtures 1-4 tagged and you program a Beamshape palette, the values for every beamshape parameter of the tagged fixtures are recorded into the palette.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Unfortunately, this is a result of only being able to program down to attribute rather than individual parameter level.

I'm sure you are aware that there are numerous discussions on the level of partial programming provided on the Frog desks, and the function applies equally to the programming of palettes.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 1 month later...

Is there any way to save a SPECIFIC beamshape function, without having every single one of the other functions tagged with it? I am currently working with Robo 918's.

e.g. I want to save JUST the prism data, so if I have a gobo or beamshape I like, I can just hit the saved "prism" button and it will stack with the previous scene.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

another question to the Palettes in Fat Frog:

I would like to program seperate Palettes in a way like the Scancommander works. I would like to program one palette for Gobo and one for Rotation. As I know you can only combine them, so you would need to program one for Gobo 1 / slow rotation another one for Gobo 1 / med rotation and so on. Or can I separate them? On Hog and Grand MA you can seperate functions from the selection.

Thanks for Help

Patrick

• 2 months later...

Here's the system i have issues with.

Fat Frog. 4 HES Technobeam.

and heres the issue.

when creating beam pallete i have layed down my gobos. this works fine.

However what i am trying to achieve is have gobos - rotation - fx - strobe similer to how you may lay out a hog pallete.

my problem is if i select a gobo then a rotation or strobe the selected fittings jump back to open.

So select blocks - blocks work fine

then try overlay a strobe from the pallete. sure they strobe but jump to open.

Is there a way of partially recording an attribute to a pallete so that i do not have to use a mirage of wheels to create an effect.

I can select a gobo then use the wheel to dial in strobe or effect. but for live "jamming" i would like to be able to snap in strobe or rotation or any other beam attribute without it jumping to open.

I hope my question makes sence, can someone enlighten me on this. thanks.

p.s i understand that a frog is not a hog and what i am trying to achieve may not be at all possible.

Thanks,

I can see this issue has been raised before.

hope an update comes up soon.

As for the user interface, not that i should be one to put in my 2 cents, and im sure it has been thought of, but how about attributes not to be recorded are left as a "?" in their corrosponding display field. Like the hog. I know this sounds simple in theory and coding it would probably be major... but.

and once again, i know the frog is not the hog, but it works for them right??

• 6 months later...

Hiya,

Someone on another forum brought the topic up and actually comming to think of it, it would be a very handy thing to do. If someone else has mentioned this before (I couldnt find anything) then appologies.

At the moment you can only indervidualy save Beamshape/ Colour etc. on there own however on other boards you can actually select the atributes within these broad areas. For example you can just save the rotation to a sub. I hope you all get what i mean!

The way this is implimented in the Pearl is that you only record any channel you have altered (played with). So if you only touch the rotation and the gobo then these are the only two saved. However if then you realise that you dont want to save the roation just the beamshape then you can just hold clear and tap the button under rotation.

This feature could be turned on and off in super user.

I hope I have made myself clear, please tell me if not.

Thanks,

Sam

• 3 months later...

Just a small extension on ice's first post, instead of 0's you could implement something like '--'. If you make the output for that the same as 0, but non-programable. So if you want to program the individual parameters set it to 0-255, if you don't want to program it set it to '--'.

Pro's:

-all values still programmable, without any strange settings

-quick

-no need for any new menu's/questions (like ice suggested)

Cons:

-maybe a bit hard for beginners (myself included), but RTFM should solve the problem with the users

• 9 months later...

Hi folks,

Do I read correctly that v10.x now allows paletting of individual beamshape attributes by channel, where v9.x did not allow this?

If this is true, is it possible in v10.x to overlay one beamshape palette on top of another? Idea being to split up my palettes into gobo-only, rotate-only, prism-only and so on, and then overlay them as needed?

This has been one of my biggest complaints with the Frog up till now, if that change has been made then busking just got a whole lot easier!

Thanks!