Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Fat Frog recording subs to memories

JAdamson

Hello,

I was wondering why I am having difficulty recording looks from a submaster to memory AFTER the first time I hit <PROGRAM> to record a memory in the stack?

In other words-suppose I have channels 1-6 in SUB 1/1. I raise SUB 1 (on page 1) to FF, then hit <PROGRAM> (with LED at MEMORIES)-->the level records correctly. The playback is CH 1-6 at Full.

Now I want to set SUB 1 at a different level, say 50%. I set SUB 1 fader to half and hit <PROGRAM>. I get a dialog box saying "Nothing to program". Yet if I take SUB 1 to ZERO level, then reset it to 50% and hit <PROGRAM>, the levels are recorded correctly and playback is CH 1-6 at 50%.

This happens on both the actual desk & Phantom Frog. I am using v10.12 for both. I have the desk set for partial mode; tracking (ON--); Replay/tag=Replace; Brightness=Channel;

Color=All; Beamshape=Channel; Position=All.

Also-I don't want to use the "Save All" option, as I may not wish to save attributes from fixtures in the memory.

What am I missing here? Thanks.

John Adamson

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

That is to do with the tracking option being on. You have to release the channels on the submasters by taking them to 0 to then taking them back up to the new level.

Not sure what you mean by "save all" option.

To me that is the difference between full and partial programming modes.

In full mode the desk records all attributes for dimmer and fixtures.

In partial it only records dimmers and fixtures that have had an attribute change or as we called it tagged.

This is indicated by the yellow LED in the fixture selection button flashing, so if you do not want any fixture information recorded make sure that there are no flashing LED's. If there are press and hold the fixture button until the LED stops flashing to untag any attributes.

If you have any more questions please feel free to e-mail me direct below. on the address below.

Regards,

Keith Rogers

keith.rogers@signify.com

DD: +44 (0) 1633 833 101.

• 2 years later...

Hi Keith,

I tried several variations and have found that:

• The tracking option ON/OFF has no effect--you must reset to 0 with either one;
  • the Tag Replace MUST be set to "Replace" or "Add" otherwise NO re-recording will occur.

I realise this is an old thread but this forum is a useful back-resource...! (And myself I was jsut playing with Tracking so also had some head-scratching to do!)

Always in Partial mode (tracking on or off), it is only tagged fixtures (or generics if Tracking=On and Brightness=Channel) that will get recorded on PROGRAM.

For the ReplayTag setting, it is correct that "Replace" or "Add" is usually used. But you could use "Off", but then you would need to manually go round and tag the fixtures/generics you wish to program. This is noted in the release notes for 10.9:

ReplayTag Off

When a Memory, Submaster or SX is replayed, the tag states on the desk

are not affected. Use this option if you want to look after the tag states

yourself when building up looks for recording.

Further, from your first post, the reason after moving the SUBMASTER the second time you get "Nothing to record" is that after pressing PROGRAM, the tags are cleared. This is described in the Frog Manual p5-3:

6. Press the PROGRAM button to

store the current output levels.

If programming in Partial mode,

the tagged fixtures are

automatically untagged.

(This is also eluded to in the release notes for 9.8, against FR5548: "When the desk clears the tags after a programming operation, ..." which is where I first started my search to confirm this behaviour!)

By lowering and then re-raising the SUBMASTER, you trigger a re-tag of the fixtures/generics used by that SUBMASTER (assuming you have ReplayTag=Replace or Add, and not Off).

Also regarding your comment on "Save All", Keith must just have been having an "off" day! In the 10.0 release notes:

Pressing the Program button while the Wheel Group button is also held, will perform a Save All operation (ie all parameters of all fixtures, plus movement effects will be recorded).

So you weren't going mad!

Hope that helps - since this functionality has evolved over the releases, it can be a little confusing, but the behaviour you report does seem "as intended" if you can piece it together from the manual and overlay the changes in the release notes!

Regards,

Kevin