Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Help, I've broken our school's Jester!

Hockeybod

My field is sound not lighting, so please bear with me. I was doing sound for a show at our local school and noticed that when the lighting guy brought the master fader up it would flash momentarily before dimming again and gradually fading up as it should. It didn't happen every time but I thought it was likely to be a worn or dirty fader. I've replaced audio faders before and thinking "How hard could this be?", I foolishly offered to fix it for them. Soldering in a new fader seemed to be straightforward, but the desk doesn't work now.

All the LCDs on the flash buttons are lit constantly on channels 1-6 on banks A and B, and none of the faders appear to do anything. With a bit random button pressing I did get it working in a chace, and the Master fader worked then, but that's the only time I saw any of the lights come on.

I tried a desk reset and it didn't make any difference. I have until Sept 5th when the schools go back to get it working! Any suggestions gratefully received!

Re-inspect your handy-work carefully.

• Did you create a solder bridge?
  • Did you damage a pad?
  • Did you take antistatic precautions?
  • Did you dislodge a cable when reassembling?
  • Did you accidentally change any DIP switches?
  • Did you use the correct fader part? (i.e. did you buy from Z88 or a service centre - if you're used to repairing sound equipment I'm assuming you know how to identify the correct component, value and curve type...)

Maybe @KWR88 can tell you how to get into test mode to test all of the faders and buttons.

One of the first things i would look at is the position of the ID switch on the rear of the Preset PCB so don't need to remove the PCB to see them. These are used to setup which bank of channel the faders are controlling.

There will be a block of three dip switch in the middle of the PCB towards the top edge of it.

Depending on the desk they should be set as follows.

image.png

You may find that this is a 4 way switch block (depending on age of unit). The 4th switch is not connected so don't worry about its position.

From there PM on the address in my signature if you are still having issues.

Regards,

Keith Rogers

Zero 88 Support: support@zero88.com

1 hour ago, kgallen said:

Re-inspect your handy-work carefully.

• Did you create a solder bridge?
  • Did you damage a pad?
  • Did you take antistatic precautions?
  • Did you dislodge a cable when reassembling?
  • Did you accidentally change any DIP switches?
  • Did you use the correct fader part? (i.e. did you buy from Z88 or a service centre - if you're used to repairing sound equipment I'm assuming you know how to identify the correct component, value and curve type...)

Maybe @KWR88 can tell you how to get into test mode to test all of the faders and buttons.

I inspected the solders with a magnifying glass before re-assembly and didn't see anything untoward. Yes, static strap and power lead plugged in but turned off. I didn't deliberately change any of the dips, but can't be sure. Yes, it's the right fader, all markings etc identical and bought from a proper service centre. I can't get to the desk until the weekend but I'll have another look then and desolder and resolder the joints if everything else seems OK.

44 minutes ago, KWR88 said:

One of the first things i would look at is the position of the ID switch on the rear of the Preset PCB so don't need to remove the PCB to see them. These are used to setup which bank of channel the faders are controlling.

There will be a block of three dip switch in the middle of the PCB towards the top edge of it.

Depending on the desk they should be set as follows.

image.png

You may find that this is a 4 way switch block (depending on age of unit). The 4th switch is not connected so don't worry about its position.

From there PM on the address in my signature if you are still having issues.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the weekend. Would that cause all the flash-button LEDs to be lit?

You were right, the DIP switches weren't how they should be. The Flash button lights are all off now which looks hopeful. All our lights are down for PAT testing so I'm limited in what I can do but fingers crossed you appear to have solved it and spared my blushes!