Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this one.

beyond the blue

I am running a FLX S48 board. I was hoping to record two moving head lights into sliders 1 & 2. After positioning them, giving them a colour and an intensity and recording them, I simply wanted to be able to move the sliders up and down but when the sliders go down the lights swing to the home position. I recorded in channel and run in playback mode, what on earth am I doing wrong?

26 minutes ago, Davidmk said:

I don't think you've done anything wrong but you seem to have recorded something you didn't mean to.

What would you like to happen as you raise and lower the fader?

Is it that they change colour and come on (on raise) and revert to the original colour and go off (on lower)?

I don't want them to swing back to the home position when I lower the faders. I just want the intensity to drop to zero and raise again when I push the faders back up. Move on dark doesn't have any effect because I don't have a stack. I don't know how else to explain it, sorry

OK. Well, I'm guessing here, but it looks like you have the position recorded in your playbacks along with the colour and intensity. When you put the fader up the fixtures move to that position, when you bring it down the fixtures are released and so they go back to the default position (which is probably the same as Home).

Firstly, does it matter how the fixtures are positioned if the intensity is zero? If it is the movement when you bring the faders up that is bothering you then try changing the trigger level or press the Go button on the playback before raising the fader.

If that doesn't work for you then there's more than one way out of it but first you need to remove the position information from your playbacks. You can do this with update/remove or by just deleting them and recording them again without pan/tilt parameters.

If you only need the fixtures in one position you could set that position as the default. Another option is to record the position on another playback and keep that up. There's also the option to disable Release on Lower but this will keep the colour as well - at least until it is overridden by another playback.

Or, you could wait until the Z88 people give you a more authoritative response - I'm an FLX user and often recommend solutions only available on that console (I have checked the S48 manual this time though.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kgallen said:

This just needs release on lower disabling doesn’t it?

Sounds like it - yep. Hold SETUP, press the button under the fader, and then turn off “Release on lower”… then do it for the other playback too. This should then behave exactly as you’ve described you’d like it too.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

On 10/8/2023 at 8:22 AM, kgallen said:

This just needs release on lower disabling doesn’t it?

The trigger level could be set to 1 or 2%  if the colour needs to snap the first time the fader is pushed  

Setup+Playback button then you’ll find it in there, I think under one of the page tabs.

That sorted it, thank you again.

• Like 1