Zero 88 Community Support Forum

zeros functionality question for Solution

Ed75

Can someone tell me which functionality zeros has on a Solution desk? The same full-functionality as on a FLX ? Or some software limits  like on the FLX S desks?

I have been searching the zero88 site and manuals and this forum for more than an hour now, but couldn't find any exact answers on this.

Mostly FLX I believe. Any limitations are down to lack of processing power rather than a ‘license’ limitation is my understanding.

The only reference is possibly the online manual switched to ‘Solution’.

ETA: sorry the Solution had its own manual, not the ZerOS selectable one. Last update was 7.9.2 which is a while back now:

https://www.zero88.com/storage/downloads/328c7204-9e39-4eb2-9913-2ded1b75ef0c/IM9210---Solution-Manual-Issue-2.0.pdf

After having a quick glance through this manual : I understand the preset faders (in channel mode) are only assignable to 1-address fixtures? (eg dimmers) ? Multi-channel fixtures need to be patched to the mfk's? or is this changed during some updates of zeros?

The reason for these questions is I might consider searching for a Solution, because there is no need to switch pages then, between channel and playback mode, because of the seperate playbacks. Which is a little pain for me on the FLX range

The capabilities of Solution are detailed on the webpage, and the datasheets towards the bottom of the page: https://www.zero88.com/control/solution

The key things are:

• 248 fixtures. These are numbered 1-48 (assigned to the 48 faders) and 101-300 (assigned to the 20 Multi-Function Keys ("MFKs") across 10 pages). They can all be anything - there's no limitation of the faders only being dimmers.
  • 400 of each palette type / groups / macros
  • 201 playbacks (10 faders, 20 pages, plus the "Master Playback")
  • 2048 DMX channels (4 "full universes", but can be spread across 64 universes).

3 hours ago, Ed75 said:

The reason for these questions is I might consider searching for a Solution, because there is no need to switch pages then, between channel and playback mode, because of the seperate playbacks. Which is a little pain for me on the FLX range

If the only reason for looking at a Solution console is the separate Channel and Playback faders, it might be worth taking a look at the ZerOS Wing instead...

https://www.zero88.com/control/wing

This can then be plugged into your FLX S console via USB. ZerOS Wing will not increase the number of Channels or Playbacks your console can control, but would allow you to set the ZerOS Wing faders to Channels, and the console faders to Playbacks for example, to access both at the same time.

For more information on ZerOS Wing, please see the link below...

https://www.zero88.com/manuals/zeros/zeros-wing

Hope this helps.

Edward

Thank you both for your answers. I knew the key features of the Solution , after reading all info, only some things which are not directly mentioned in the zeros or the solution manual were not clear to me. I just wondered if you have put some software-limitations into the Solution software, like on the FLX S range.

And of course I am aware of the wing possibility, but being honest I think it's slightly  overpriced so to say....... which brings the step of buying a complete (used) desk a bit closer.

A)  sometimes it is handy to have an extra desk B ) it gives me backup possibilities.

59 minutes ago, Ed75 said:

I just wondered if you have put some software-limitations into the Solution software, like on the FLX S range.

There are some features that won't make it to Solution - but we try to keep those to a minimum. For example, most recently we couldn't bring Philips Hue support to Solution. We no longer update documentation for Solution, but we do note all of these in the release notes - so you would need to read through each of those for the "full picture".

We also made the decision a year or so ago that we would "stop supporting" Solution being used without a touchscreen (or alternatively a monitor and mouse together). Whilst most things are still accessible without using anything other than the console itself, it started becoming too complicated to design modern interfaces whilst still supporting Solution front panel hardware without a touchscreen.

• Like 2